Monday, September 19, 2005

Brother can you spare change for parking?

In Edmonton, one of the booming cities in Alberta, there are many people attracted by the opportunities that await those willing to work. But there is also a social network for those that come here and can't find work for whatever reason, unlike what we saw in the southern United States recently.

It's not a perfect system, but there but for grace of god go I. So once in a while I do offer a handout of spare change or the subway card that is filled out and can be used for a free 6" sub.

HOWEVER.

For the third time in the last couple months, I was approached for "spare change" in the parking lot as I was getting into my truck. Yes, it is an expensive vehicle and yes, I could probably find spare change in the centre console. BUT I do not wish to condone approaching somebody just as they opened the door to their car, keys in hand.

True, Edmonton is not known for it's muggings and/or carjacking - but it just makes me too nervous. I don't wish to play the odds and chances are that there is 1 out of a 100 of the scruffy guys that would approach me in this circumstance that just 'may' be willing to take that chance.

Who knows and I'm not willing to take that chance. I'd rather risk the WTF stare from a homeless guy as I just pull away and do that "sorry no time" shrug or the jump into the vehicle and roll the window down enough to ask "what can I do for you?" The former seems more convincing and less fear mongering to me.




Who Links Here